US dismisses lawmakers` demand for aid cut to Pakistan
Washington: The Obama Administration has dismissed demands of a group of lawmakers that US should stop aid to Pakistan in the aftermath of the killing of Osama bin Laden.
"They are legitimate concerns. But we believe that our counter-terrorism cooperation and our assistance to Pakistan is in the long-term national security interests of the United States, as well as in the long-term interests of building a stronger, more prosperous and more democratic Pakistan," State Department spokesman Mark Toner told reporters.
Following the killing of bin Laden by the US forces in Abbottabad earlier this week, at least two legislations have been introduced in the House of Representatives, which if passed, would cut all American aid to Pakistan.
None of the legislations carry the support of the administration which believes that at this point of time, the US just can`t "walk away" from this relationship, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said.
In fact, the administration has quietly conveyed to the Congressional leadership that it would be against the US interest to cut any kind of financial aid to Pakistan.
"I think we go to the Pakistanis, which we`ve done and we say, you know, these are our concerns, and you need to address them in a clear and coherent way," Toner said, when asked how does one deal with these "legitimate concerns,".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video