US doctor rescued from Taliban in Afghanistan
Kabul: An American doctor abducted by the Taliban five days ago was rescued today in eastern Afghanistan, the US-led military coalition said.
Dilip Joseph was captured by Taliban insurgents Wednesday outside the Afghan capital, in the Sarobi district of Kabul province.
He was rescued in an early morning operation ordered after intelligence showed that the doctor was in imminent danger of injury or possible death, according to a statement.
"This was a combined operation of US and Afghan forces," said 1st Lt Joseph Alonso, a spokesman for US forces in Afghanistan. "Information was collected through multiple intelligence sources, which allowed Afghan and coalition forces to identify the location of Joseph and the criminals responsible for his captivity."
Gen John Allen, the top commander of US forces in Afghanistan, said the joint force planned, rehearsed and successfully conducted the operation.
"Thanks to them, Dr Joseph will soon be rejoining his family and loved ones," Allen said.
The statement did not say where Joseph is from, or whether he was harmed in captivity.
No other details of the rescue operation were immediately available.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in