US donates bomb disposal vans, motorcycles to Pak
Islamabad: The US Wednesday donated four bomb disposal vans and 100 motorcycles to the government of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province in northwest Pakistan.
A ceremony was held at the police headquarters in Peshawar, the provincial capital, to mark the occasion, Xinhua reported quoting the official APP news agency.
The donations were made by the US embassy`s narcotics affairs section under its police assistance programme, the spokesman for the US Consulate in Peshawar said.
US Consul General Marie Richards paid tribute to security forces at the event and said: "I would like to praise the courage and dedication of the police of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa."
"It is their commitment to duty that protects the people of Peshawar and KPK from criminals. I hope that the equipment we are providing today will help them carry out their duties safely and effectively in future," she said.
The US has committed $75 million in aid to the Khyber Pakhtunkwa police to build capacity and improve security across the province. Previous donations have included police vehicles, armoured troop carriers, generators, solar panels, radios, binoculars, first aid supplies and other items.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise