US donates high-tech communication equipment to NWFP police
Washington: The United States has donated high-tech communication equipment to the North West Frontier Province Police in Pakistan, which would help the law enforcement agency to effectively launch its fight against terrorism in the troubled region.
The high-tech communication equipment, worth USD 130,000, were donated to the NWFP Police by the Assistant Secretary Johnson and US Embassy Islamabad Deputy Chief of Mission Gerald Feierstein at a function in Peshawar on April 06, after the attack on the US Consulate in Peshawar.
The donation includes 41 vehicle radio systems, 200 handheld wireless radios, and two radio repeaters to NWFP Additional Inspector General of Police Abdul Majeed.
"This latest instalment of equipment underscores the United States` ongoing commitment to support Pakistan`s police," the Assistant Secretary said.
“We are standing by Pakistan in the face of terrorist attacks," he said.
In a statement, the State Department said the US supports civilian law enforcement in Pakistan through equipment, training, and refurbishment of police facilities.
In 2009 alone, US civilian law enforcement assistance totalled USD 49,500,000.
Assistant Secretary David Johnson for the Bureau of International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs (INL) returned yesterday from a 2-day visit to Pakistan, where he met with government officials from the Ministry of Interior, NWFP and the Federally Administered Tribal Areas to discuss US-funded police training, infrastructure and border security programmes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM