US donates vehicles, tents to Pakistan
Islamabad: The US embassy Wednesday donated ambulances, vans, buses and motorbikes to the Islamabad Women`s Police Station and 800 tents to the National Disaster Management Authority for use in future disasters.
The vehicles include two ambulances, two buses, two vans and two motorcycles. Other equipment donated under a women`s assistance programme include 64 helmets, 20 first-aid kits, radio sets and battery chargers, the Online news agency reported.
The donation was part of a US government programme to assist women police across Pakistan.
The programme -- initiated in 2011 -- is designed to assist women police in developing professional capacity by providing training, equipment and infrastructure.
Till date, the US has allocated $5 million for the programme.
Earlier, women police have been trained for operating police vehicles and using computers.
At a ceremony held at the Islamabad Police Lines, Jon Danilowicz, director of the Narcotics Affairs Section at the US embassy, presented the equipment to the women`s police station.
The US also delivered 800 tents to the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) in a bid to strengthen its ability to quickly respond in the event of a disaster.
The tents, part of a larger $5.8 million project to support Pakistan`s flood relief efforts, will be used to house families in the event of future disasters, the US embassy said.
"Whenever a natural disaster strikes, rapid response is crucial. These tents will enable the Pakistan government to respond quickly and effectively in order to prevent the loss of life and reduce suffering," said Karen Freeman, deputy director of the US Agency for International Development (USAID).
After the 2010 and 2011 floods, the US has delivered more than $700 million worth of assistance to flood-affected people throughout the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan