US drone attack kills 10 militants in Pak
Islamabad: A US drone targeted a compound in the restive North Waziristan tribal region of Pakistan today, killing 10 suspected militants in the second such attack in a week.
The CIA-operated spy plane fired two missiles at the compound in the mountainous region of Shawal, 70 km from Miranshah, the main town in North Waziristan Agency.
Unnamed security officials were quoted by TV news channels as saying that militants were using the compound as a training facility. The compound was destroyed.
The exact identity of those killed could not immediately be established as journalists are barred from reporting from the tribal belt.
This was the second drone strike in North Waziristan since April 29 and reflected the Obama administration`s resolve to continue with its drone campaign in the face of opposition and condemnation from the Pakistan government.
The Foreign Office had condemned the last drone attack that killed four suspected militants and a junior American diplomat was summoned for the lodging of an official protest.
The Pakistan Army has so far resisted American pressure to move its troops into North Waziristan, described by US and Afghan officials as a stronghold of al-Qaeda and Taliban elements who carry out attacks on foreign forces across the border in Afghanistan.
There has been a significant drop in drone strikes after Pakistan-US ties plunged to a low last year following the unilateral American raid that killed Osama bin Laden and the cross-border NATO air strike that killed 24 Pakistani soldiers.
Saturday`s attack was only the second one since Pakistan`s parliament adopted guidelines for resetting relations with the US in March.
The guidelines included a demand for an unconditional apology for the NATO air strike and the immediate halting of drone strikes.
Pakistan describes the drone strikes as counter-productive and a violation of its sovereignty.
During US Special Envoy Marc Grossman`s visit to Islamabad last month, President Asif Ali Zardari had called for setting up a mechanism to find "mutually acceptable alternatives" to drone strikes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced