US drone attack kills 12 militants in Pak`s North Waziristan
Islamabad: A US drone strike has reportedly killed at least 12 suspected militants in Shawal area of Pakistan``s North Waziristan, intelligence officials have said.
According to the Daily Times, the targeted compound was in Dray Nashtar village, some 65 kilometres west of North Waziristan``s main town, Miranshah, known to be a haven for Taliban militants.
"A fire erupted in the compound after some four to six missiles hit it," a local tribesman said.
Shawal is a remote area of forested ridges and valleys that spreads out on both sides of the border and has long been known as a haven for militants from Pakistan, Afghanistan and beyond.
Local residents said militants pulled out the dead bodies and those of wounded colleagues after cordoning the area around the compound.
In a drone attack at the start of July, six militants were killed, and an attack on June 4 killed 15 militants, including senior Al-Qaeda figure Abu Yahya al-Libi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir