US drone attack kills 12 militants in Pak`s North Waziristan
Islamabad: A US drone strike has reportedly killed at least 12 suspected militants in Shawal area of Pakistan``s North Waziristan, intelligence officials have said.
According to the Daily Times, the targeted compound was in Dray Nashtar village, some 65 kilometres west of North Waziristan``s main town, Miranshah, known to be a haven for Taliban militants.
"A fire erupted in the compound after some four to six missiles hit it," a local tribesman said.
Shawal is a remote area of forested ridges and valleys that spreads out on both sides of the border and has long been known as a haven for militants from Pakistan, Afghanistan and beyond.
Local residents said militants pulled out the dead bodies and those of wounded colleagues after cordoning the area around the compound.
In a drone attack at the start of July, six militants were killed, and an attack on June 4 killed 15 militants, including senior Al-Qaeda figure Abu Yahya al-Libi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj