US drone attack kills three militants in Pak
Miranshah (Pakistan): A US drone attack targeting a vehicle travelling in Pakistan`s lawless northwestern tribal belt near the Afghan border killed three militants on Sunday, local security officials said.
The unmanned aircraft targeted the vehicle in Hasan Khel village, around 30 kilometres east of Miranshah, the main town in North Waziristan tribal district, and a known hub of Islamic militants.
"US drone fired two missiles, the vehicle is still on fire, we have reports that three militants were killed in this attack," a local security official in Miranshah said.
A security official in Peshawar also confirmed the incident and the toll.
Another security official in Miranshah said that identities of those killed in the strike were not immediately known.
A covert US drone campaign in Pakistan has been stepped up over the last few months with strikes in the tribal belt, which Washington considers as the most dangerous place on earth, taking place with increasing frequency.
More than 250 people have been killed in 47 strikes since September 3, heightening tensions with Islamabad over reported US criticism of Pakistan`s failure so far to launch a ground offensive in North Waziristan.
The United States does not as a rule confirm drone attacks, but its military and the Central Intelligence Agency operating in Afghanistan are the only forces that deploy the aircraft in the region.
Officials in Washington say drone strikes are highly effective in the war against Al-Qaeda and its Islamist allies, killing a number of high-value targets, including the Pakistani Taliban`s founding father Baitullah Mossed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3