US drone attack kills three militants in Pak
Miranshah (Pakistan): A US drone attack targeting a vehicle travelling in Pakistan`s lawless northwestern tribal belt near the Afghan border killed three militants on Sunday, local security officials said.
The unmanned aircraft targeted the vehicle in Hasan Khel village, around 30 kilometres east of Miranshah, the main town in North Waziristan tribal district, and a known hub of Islamic militants.
"US drone fired two missiles, the vehicle is still on fire, we have reports that three militants were killed in this attack," a local security official in Miranshah said.
A security official in Peshawar also confirmed the incident and the toll.
Another security official in Miranshah said that identities of those killed in the strike were not immediately known.
A covert US drone campaign in Pakistan has been stepped up over the last few months with strikes in the tribal belt, which Washington considers as the most dangerous place on earth, taking place with increasing frequency.
More than 250 people have been killed in 47 strikes since September 3, heightening tensions with Islamabad over reported US criticism of Pakistan`s failure so far to launch a ground offensive in North Waziristan.
The United States does not as a rule confirm drone attacks, but its military and the Central Intelligence Agency operating in Afghanistan are the only forces that deploy the aircraft in the region.
Officials in Washington say drone strikes are highly effective in the war against Al-Qaeda and its Islamist allies, killing a number of high-value targets, including the Pakistani Taliban`s founding father Baitullah Mossed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers