‘US drone attacks in Pakistan counter-productive`
Lahore: US drone attacks in Pakistan`s tribal
areas are counter-productive as they violate the country`s
sovereignty and result in civilian casualties which cause deep
resentment and fuel militancy, President Asif Ali Zardari said
Zardari made the remarks during a meeting with visiting
US Deputy Secretary of State Thomas Nides, who arrived in
Pakistan this morning for talks aimed at resetting the
relationship between the two countries.
Earlier in the day, Nides met Prime Minister Yousuf Raza
Gilani, who insisted that new rules of engagement with the US
must respect Pakistan`s sovereignty.
The Pakistan-US relationship should be based on
transparency, mutual respect and mutual interest in order for
it to be "long term and sustained", Zardari said during his
meeting with Nides at the Governor House in Lahore.
The President is currently on an official visit to
Pakistan attaches great importance to its relationship
with the US and the two countries "have mutuality of interests
to pursue", Zardari said.
The government is now awaiting the completion of a
parliamentary review to reset the ties with the US, he added.
The government ordered the review after a cross-border
NATO air strike killed 24 Pakistani soldiers in November last
Nides said the US recognizes Pakistan`s role in the fight
against militants and wants to restore multifaceted
cooperation and relations.
Rebuilding trust and confidence between the two countries
is essential for pursuing common objectives, Nides said.
The US respects the parliamentary review process in
Pakistan and looks forward to its early completion, he said.
Referring to the situation in Afghanistan, Zardari said
narco-trafficking and narco-financing were among the major
challenges that need to be tackled urgently.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- DNA: Analysing how plastics are devastating our health silently
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'