US drone destroys Taliban camp in Pak, kills 5 terrorists
Islamabad: A US drone targeted a Taliban training camp in the restive South Waziristan tribal region of Pakistan on Wednesday, killing five militants and injuring seven more, security officials said.
The CIA-operated spy plane fired two missiles at the camp in Babargarh area of Laddah sub-division, TV news channels quoted the officials as saying.
Five militants were killed and seven others injured, they said.
The casualties could not be independently confirmed as journalists are barred from the lawless tribal region that is described by US officials as a safe haven for Taliban and Al Qaeda elements.
Local residents said several drones were seen hovering over the area after the attack.
The Taliban compound was destroyed in the attack.
The Babargarh area is a stronghold of Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan chief Hakimullah Mehsud and the group has several camps in the region.
On Sunday, four militants were killed and several others injured when a US drone targeted a house in North Waziristan Agency.
Drone strikes are opposed by the Pakistani government, which describes them as counter-productive and a violation of the country`s sovereignty.
A statement issued by the Foreign Office on Monday condemned the last attack and said such unilateral strikes violated international law.
"Such attacks also set dangerous precedents in inter-state relations. The government of Pakistan calls upon the US government to stop such attacks based on mutual respect and established international norms," the statement said.
However, US diplomatic cables made public by WikiLeaks showed Pakistani leaders agreed to the strikes in private.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest