US drone strike kills 13 militants in Pakistan
Islamabad: At least 13 militants, including
a prominent Taliban commander, were killed when two missiles
fired by a US drone slammed a compound used by the Haqqani
network in Pakistan`s restive North Waziristan tribal region.
The casualties included Taliban commander Abdur Rehman,
who is part of the Haqqani network that operates in
neighbouring Afghanistan, media reports said.
The compound located in the border village of Saidgai in
North Waziristan Agency was used by local militants attached
to the network, which has attacked US troops in Afghanistan.
US drones were seen hovering over Miranshah and other
adjoining areas in North Waziristan after the strike.
The compound that was targeted by the drone belonged to a
tribesman with links to the Taliban.
Militants immediately cordoned off the compound after the
attack and prevented people from approaching it.
North Waziristan has witnessed several drone strikes this
month. Taliban and al Qaeda elements and members of the
Haqqani group, which is active in Afghanistan, are based in
the tribal agency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'
- Camera Day: Celebrate the art of photography and go click-happy!