US drone strike kills 13 militants in Pakistan
Islamabad: At least 13 militants, including
a prominent Taliban commander, were killed when two missiles
fired by a US drone slammed a compound used by the Haqqani
network in Pakistan`s restive North Waziristan tribal region.
The casualties included Taliban commander Abdur Rehman,
who is part of the Haqqani network that operates in
neighbouring Afghanistan, media reports said.
The compound located in the border village of Saidgai in
North Waziristan Agency was used by local militants attached
to the network, which has attacked US troops in Afghanistan.
US drones were seen hovering over Miranshah and other
adjoining areas in North Waziristan after the strike.
The compound that was targeted by the drone belonged to a
tribesman with links to the Taliban.
Militants immediately cordoned off the compound after the
attack and prevented people from approaching it.
North Waziristan has witnessed several drone strikes this
month. Taliban and al Qaeda elements and members of the
Haqqani group, which is active in Afghanistan, are based in
the tribal agency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh