US drone strike kills 21 militants in Pakistan
Islamabad: A US drone targeted a compound in the restive North Waziristan tribal region on Friday, killing 21 suspected militants in the first such attack since Pakistan reopened NATO supply routes to neighbouring Afghanistan.
The CIA-operated spy plane fired two missiles at the compound in Datta Khel area near the Afghan border.
TV news channels quoted their sources as saying that 21 people were killed. Foreign fighters were among the dead.
The strike destroyed the compound, witnesses said.
Datta Khel is considered a stronghold of Hafiz Gul Bahadur, the commander of a Taliban faction accused of sending fighters across the border to fight foreign troops in Afghanistan.
This was the first US drone strike since Pakistan restored supply lines for NATO troops in Afghanistan on Tuesday.
It was also the second drone strike in North Waziristan Agency in a week.
A US drone killed eight persons in Shawal area on July 01.
Friday`s strike came days after Pakistani leaders said talks were continuing with the US on ending the drone campaign following the reopening of NATO supply routes.
The Foreign Office said yesterday that the US drone attacks were counter-productive and a violation of Pakistan`s sovereignty.
The US has rejected calls from Pakistan to stop the drone strikes, insisting that the spy planes are effective in eliminating al Qaeda and Taliban elements hiding in the tribal belt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Chasing 286-run target, India lose Rahane and Rohit early
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: Mulayam sacks Ram Gopal Yadav from party for six years; Shivpal says he is corrupt, involved with BJP