US drone strike kills 3 in NW Pakistan: Officials
Miranshah: A US pilotless aircraft fired a missile into Pakistan`s North Waziristan tribal district on Friday, killing three suspected Taliban insurgents, an intelligence official said.
The missile strike targeted a vehicle near Mir Ali, a major town in the region that borders Afghanistan.
"According to initial reports, the attack destroyed the car and killed three people," an intelligence official said on condition of anonymity.
The official said it was not immediately clear whether any more people were travelling in the vehicle.
The Friday morning attack was the second in North Waziristan in as many days.
Five people were killed and at least two more injured when two missiles believed to be fired from a US drone struck the house of a Taliban sympathiser in the Machikhel area on Thursday night.
The identities of those killed in the two strikes were not known, the official said.
North Waziristan is one of seven districts in Pakistan`s tribal region, a suspected enclave of Taliban militants launching deadly assaults on Western troops operating in Afghanistan.
The US has intensified its drone strikes in the rugged territory in recent weeks, apparently as part of its new strategy to tackle the Afghan insurgency.
Pakistan publicly opposes the aerial raids, saying they violate its sovereignty and stoke up anti-American sentiments. But analysts believe that Pakistani intelligence agencies covertly help the US forces in locating and confirming the targets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez