US drone strike kills 3 in NW Pakistan: Officials
Miranshah: A US pilotless aircraft fired a missile into Pakistan`s North Waziristan tribal district on Friday, killing three suspected Taliban insurgents, an intelligence official said.
The missile strike targeted a vehicle near Mir Ali, a major town in the region that borders Afghanistan.
"According to initial reports, the attack destroyed the car and killed three people," an intelligence official said on condition of anonymity.
The official said it was not immediately clear whether any more people were travelling in the vehicle.
The Friday morning attack was the second in North Waziristan in as many days.
Five people were killed and at least two more injured when two missiles believed to be fired from a US drone struck the house of a Taliban sympathiser in the Machikhel area on Thursday night.
The identities of those killed in the two strikes were not known, the official said.
North Waziristan is one of seven districts in Pakistan`s tribal region, a suspected enclave of Taliban militants launching deadly assaults on Western troops operating in Afghanistan.
The US has intensified its drone strikes in the rugged territory in recent weeks, apparently as part of its new strategy to tackle the Afghan insurgency.
Pakistan publicly opposes the aerial raids, saying they violate its sovereignty and stoke up anti-American sentiments. But analysts believe that Pakistani intelligence agencies covertly help the US forces in locating and confirming the targets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'