US drone strike kills 5 in northwest Pakistan: Officials
Peshawar: Pakistani intelligence officials say a suspected US drone strike has killed five people in the tribal region near the Afghan border, on Sunday evening.
They say two missiles hit the Shawal area of North Waziristan when the men were crossing on foot into Pakistani territory from Afghanistan.
The two officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to brief reporters.
They said the men have not been identified.
North Waziristan is home to a mix of Pakistani, Afghan and al-Qaeda-linked foreign militants.
The US drone programme is a source of extreme tension between the two countries.
Washington says it needs to send drones after dangerous militants because the Pakistani government refuses to engage them militarily.
Pakistan charges that the drone strikes are a violation of its sovereignty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter