US drone strike kills 6 militants in northwest Pak
Peshawar: Six militants were killed on Wednesday
in a US drone strike in the restive North Waziristan tribal
area of northwest Pakistan, security officials said.
The drone fired two missiles at a house in Darpa Khel
town, 25 km west of Miranshah, the main town of North
The house was believed to be a hideout of the Haqqani
militant network, officials said.
At least three of the militants killed in the strike
were members of the Haqqani network, which the US military has
blamed for attacks on American and NATO troops across the
border in Afghanistan.
In recent weeks, the US has significantly increased
drone strikes in Pakistan`s unruly tribal areas, which it
calls the global headquarters of al-Qaeda and dreaded Haqqani
Over 140 people have been killed in more than two
dozen missile since early September in the region.
Among those killed include a British terror suspect
who was to head al Qaeda group in the UK `The Islamic Army of
Great Britain` and was tasked to carry out Mumbai-style
attacks on London, Paris and other European cities.
More than 1,100 people have been killed in 141 US
drone missile strikes in the area since August 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part III
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part IV
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part V
- Salaries to go up 10.7%, star performers to gain handsomely: Study
- Nico Hulkenberg brings one point for Force India from Hungry
- AFI asks IAAF for Olympics wild card for javelin prodigy Neeraj Chopra
- Seven lakh applicants for Punjab Police to face dope test
- Turkey forms state of emergency coordination committee