US drone strike kills 6 militants in northwest Pak
Peshawar: Six militants were killed on Wednesday
in a US drone strike in the restive North Waziristan tribal
area of northwest Pakistan, security officials said.
The drone fired two missiles at a house in Darpa Khel
town, 25 km west of Miranshah, the main town of North
The house was believed to be a hideout of the Haqqani
militant network, officials said.
At least three of the militants killed in the strike
were members of the Haqqani network, which the US military has
blamed for attacks on American and NATO troops across the
border in Afghanistan.
In recent weeks, the US has significantly increased
drone strikes in Pakistan`s unruly tribal areas, which it
calls the global headquarters of al-Qaeda and dreaded Haqqani
Over 140 people have been killed in more than two
dozen missile since early September in the region.
Among those killed include a British terror suspect
who was to head al Qaeda group in the UK `The Islamic Army of
Great Britain` and was tasked to carry out Mumbai-style
attacks on London, Paris and other European cities.
More than 1,100 people have been killed in 141 US
drone missile strikes in the area since August 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai