US drone strike kills 8 in North Waziristan
Islamabad: A US drone targeted a compound in the lawless North Waziristan tribal region of Pakistan on Sunday, killing eight suspected militants, officials said.
The CIA-operated spy plane fired two missiles on the compound in Shawal area, 50 km from Miranshah, the main town of North Waziristan Agency, officials were quoted as saying by TV news channels.
The strike destroyed the house and killed eight suspected militants. The explosion triggered a fire and several bodies were burnt beyond recognition, the officials said.
There has been a significant increase in drone strikes in Pakistan since May, when a NATO summit in Chicago concluded without an agreement on ending Islamabad’s six-month blockade on supply routes to Afghanistan.
Pakistan shut the supply lines in November last year after a cross-border NATO air strike killed 24 Pakistani soldiers.
The US has persisted with its drone campaign despite Pakistan describing them as a violation of sovereignty and counter-productive for the war on terror.
Islamabad says the drone strikes fan anti-American sentiments in Pakistan because they can kill civilians and cause collateral damage.
Recent drone strikes have largely focussed on North Waziristan, described by US and Afghan officials as a hub for Taliban and al Qaeda elements.
A drone attack on June 04 killed 15 militants in North Waziristan, including senior al Qaeda leader Abu Yahya al-Libi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena