US drone strike kills five militants in Pakistan
Miranshah, Pakistan: A US missile strike by a drone killed at least five militants in Pakistan`s North Waziristan tribal district on Monday, Pakistani security officials said.
The attack targeted militants sleeping at a compound in Haider Khel village of Mir Ali district in North Waziristan, 25 kilometre (15 miles) east of the region`s main town of Miranshah.
"Five militants were killed," said a senior Pakistani security official on condition of anonymity.
"The drone fired two missiles," he added.
"The compound belonged to local tribesman Ahmad Ali and had become a hub of militants` movement," a local security official said.
The identities of those killed were not immediately clear, he added.
The United States considers the northwestern tribal region of Pakistan, which borders Afghanistan, a haven for Islamist militants who use the lawless area as a base to plan and carry out attacks on NATO and Pakistani forces.
The US has dramatically increased the frequency of drone strikes in the tribal belt in response to intelligence claims of a Mumbai-style terror plot to launch commando attacks on European cities.
More than 150 people have been killed since September 3, heightening tensions with Islamabad over reported US criticism of Pakistan`s failure so far to launch a ground offensive in North Waziristan.
The United States does not as a rule confirm drone attacks, but its military and the Central Intelligence Agency operating in Afghanistan are the only forces that deploy the pilotless aircraft in the region.
Officials in Washington say drone strikes are highly effective in the war against Al-Qaeda and its Islamist allies, killing a number of high-value targets, including the Pakistani Taliban`s founding father Baitullah Mehsud.
But the policy is unpopular among the Pakistan public who see military action on Pakistani soil as a breach of national sovereignty.
It has led to reprisals from militant groups who have targeted NATO supply convoys destined for Afghanistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Goa University Examination Results announced
- Herschel beams back exquisite image of newborn stars! - See pic
- Dutch coach Danny Blind flays Man Utd over Van Gaal sacking
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma again spotted together: Reports
- Maharashtra Board HSC Examination Results 2016: (maharesult.nic.in) MSBSHSE Class 12th Result 2016, Maharashtra Board Plus two Result to be declared on May 25 (today)