US drone strike kills Haqqani men in Pak
Islamabad: A US drone targeted a house in the
restive North Waziristan tribal region of Pakistan today,
killing at least three suspected militants, including two
members of the Haqqani network.
The CIA-operated spy plane fired two missiles at the
house in Dande Darpakhel area along the border with
Afghanistan, TV news channels quoted officials as saying.
The house was destroyed in the attack.
Two members of the Haqqani network were among the dead,
the reports said.
The strike occurred a short distance from a seminary run
by the Haqqanis near Miranshah, the main town in North
This was the fifth drone strike in Waziristan in a week.
On Monday, a drone killed at least four persons in North
Waziristan. On Sunday, drones fired six missiles at a house in
the same region and killed at least six persons.
Eleven people, including a top Taliban commander, were
killed in two strikes in South and North Waziristan on
Thursday. The US has stepped up pressure on Pakistan to crack
down on the Haqqani network, which has been blamed for a
string of deadly attacks on American and allied troops in
The US drones routinely carry out missile strikes in
Waziristan, which American officials have described as a safe
haven for Taliban and Al Qaeda elements.
Local tribesmen said members of the Haqqani network had
been living in Dande Darpakhel for years but they left the
region as a result of a military operation in 2005.
Jalaluddin Haqqani, an Afghan jihadi commander and
father of Sirajuddin Haqqani, established religious schools in
the area during the 1979-89 Soviet invasion of Afghanistan.
Hundreds of tribesmen from Waziristan participated in a
rally in Islamabad last week and called for an immediate halt
to the US drone strikes within Pakistan.
They said innocent people were being killed in the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Army, CRPF squabble over who killed Pampore terrorists
- This smartphone app can help you avoid unplanned pregnancy!
- Taiwan 'to test-fire missiles in US' as China tensions rise
- Juno on Jupiter's doorstep: Stunning view of giant planet and its largest moons (Pic inside)!
- 'Can you spare USD10 to help elect a billionaire?' - Trump emails