US drone strike kills nine militants in Pakistan
Islamabad: A US drone targeted a compound in the restive North Waziristan tribal region on Friday, killing nine suspected militants in the first such attack since Pakistan reopened NATO supply routes to neighbouring Afghanistan.
State-run Radio Pakistan reported that nine persons were killed.
Three others were injured when the CIA-operated spy plane fired two missiles at the compound in Datta Khel area near the Afghan border, security officials said.
The strike destroyed the house, witnesses said.
Datta Khel is considered a stronghold of Hafiz Gul Bahadur, the commander of a Taliban faction accused of sending fighters across the border to fight foreign troops in Afghanistan.
This was the first US drone strike since Pakistan restored supply lines for NATO troops in Afghanistan on Tuesday.
It was also the second drone strike in North Waziristan Agency in a week.
A US drone had killed eight persons in Shawal area on July 1.
Today`s strike came days after Pakistani leaders said talks were continuing with the US on ending the drone campaign following the reopening of NATO supply routes.
The Foreign Office said yesterday that the US drone attacks were counter-productive and a violation of Pakistan’s sovereignty.
The US has rejected calls from Pakistan to stop the drone strikes, insisting that the spy planes are effective in eliminating al Qaeda and Taliban elements hiding in the tribal belt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state