US drone strike kills two in northwest Pakistan
Islamabad: A US drone strike targeting a militant compound killed at least two suspected insurgents in a restive Pakistani tribal region near the Afghan border on Friday, officials said.
The strike took place in the Anghar area, 10 kilometres (six miles) south of Miranshah, the main town of North Waziristan tribal region, a stronghold for Taliban and al Qaeda linked militants.
"A US drone fired two missiles on a militant compound, killing two suspected militants," a senior security official said.
Another security official also confirmed the attack and casualties that took place after midnight (1900 Thursday GMT).
The identities of those killed in the strike were not immediately known but they appeared to be of Central Asian origin, the official said.
Last week a US drone attack on a seminary linked to the feared Haqqani militant network in Hangu district of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province in the northwest killed at least six people.
The attack, which militant sources said killed the Haqqanis` spiritual leader along with five others, was extremely unusual in that it was mounted outside Pakistan`s lawless tribal areas on the Afghan border.
North Waziristan is one of Pakistan`s seven semi-autonomous tribal regions which Washington considers to be a major hub of Taliban and Al-Qaeda militants plotting attacks on the West and in Afghanistan.
The government criticises drone strikes as a violation of sovereignty and counterproductive to anti-terror efforts. But ties with Washington have nevertheless improved this year after lurching from crisis to crisis in 2011 and 2012.
Last month the US announced it would release $1.6 billion in aid and Washington`s support was seen as important in Pakistan securing a $6.7 billion rescue loan from the International Monetary Fund in September.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- Motihari gang-rape: Doctors in Bihar continue to use two-finger test, says NCW report
- New method that can kill cancer cells in 2 hours developed!
- UEFA Euro 2016, quarterfinal: Poland vs Portugal - Preview
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet all set to clear final recommendations on salary hike today
- Aamir Khan's 'Dangal' sans songs? Details inside