US drone strikes kill 15 in northwest Pakistan
Dera Ismail Khan: US drone aircraft struck twice in Pakistan`s unruly tribal regions along the border with Afghanistan on Tuesday, killing 15 suspected militants, including two senior commanders of the Pakistan Taliban, security and intelligence officials said.
In the first strike, a drone fired missiles at a vehicle in the Birmal area of the South Waziristan tribal region, killing eight.
Among the dead were Shams Ullah and Amir Hamza, senior commanders of a faction of Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) led by Maulvi Nazir, one of the most influential militant leaders in the region.
Seven suspected militants were killed in the second attack later in the day, when a drone fired missiles at a vehicle in the Sara Khawra area, which straddles the border between North Waziristan and South Waziristan.
Several militant groups, including the Afghan Taliban and al Qaeda, operate in Pakistan`s semi-autonomous border regions, taking advantage of a porous border with Afghanistan to conduct cross-border attacks or plot violence elsewhere.
The usually unacknowledged Central Intelligence Agency`s drone program, an important element of the US counter-terrorism strategy in the region, appeared to have been halted after a NATO cross-border air attack killed 24 Pakistani soldiers last November, sparking fury in Pakistan.
The campaign, using remotely-piloted armed aircraft, resumed on January 10.
The use of drones is opposed by most Pakistani politicians and the public, who consider drone strikes violations of sovereignty with unacceptable civilian casualties.
Despite public opposition, Pakistan has quietly supported the program, which US President Barack Obama ramped up after taking office in 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port
- High alert across LoC after terror attacks in Srinagar, manhunt on for Hizb-ul-Mujahideen militants
- ISRO's RLV-TD launch: Why it matters to India!
- Meet Priyanka Chopra's 'woman crush'! You will love her for sure
- Watch – 'Hillary Clinton lying for 13 minutes straight'
- Another blockbuster? Salman Khan's next with Kabir Khan based on human drama!