US drone strikes kill 15 in northwest Pakistan
Dera Ismail Khan: US drone aircraft struck twice in Pakistan`s unruly tribal regions along the border with Afghanistan on Tuesday, killing 15 suspected militants, including two senior commanders of the Pakistan Taliban, security and intelligence officials said.
In the first strike, a drone fired missiles at a vehicle in the Birmal area of the South Waziristan tribal region, killing eight.
Among the dead were Shams Ullah and Amir Hamza, senior commanders of a faction of Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) led by Maulvi Nazir, one of the most influential militant leaders in the region.
Seven suspected militants were killed in the second attack later in the day, when a drone fired missiles at a vehicle in the Sara Khawra area, which straddles the border between North Waziristan and South Waziristan.
Several militant groups, including the Afghan Taliban and al Qaeda, operate in Pakistan`s semi-autonomous border regions, taking advantage of a porous border with Afghanistan to conduct cross-border attacks or plot violence elsewhere.
The usually unacknowledged Central Intelligence Agency`s drone program, an important element of the US counter-terrorism strategy in the region, appeared to have been halted after a NATO cross-border air attack killed 24 Pakistani soldiers last November, sparking fury in Pakistan.
The campaign, using remotely-piloted armed aircraft, resumed on January 10.
The use of drones is opposed by most Pakistani politicians and the public, who consider drone strikes violations of sovereignty with unacceptable civilian casualties.
Despite public opposition, Pakistan has quietly supported the program, which US President Barack Obama ramped up after taking office in 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Son of Kota Central jail prisoner clears IIT entrance exam
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution?
- Maharashtra B.Ed CET Result 2016: dhe.mhpravesh.in declares B.Ed CET Results, check B.Ed result 2016 by directly clicking here
- Delhi boy 'Sonu', abducted 6 years ago, returns home from Bangladesh today
- 'Sultan' Salman Khan lends his majestic voice for the title track, impresses again! – Check out
- Caitlyn Jenner, Lady Gaga to pay tribute to Orlando Victims
- Beach fresh in pastel, Priyanka Chopra exhibits simplicity in new magazine cover!