US drone strikes kill 18 militants in Pakistan
Islamabad: US drones targeted three militant compounds in the lawless North Waziristan tribal region on Friday killing at least 18 insurgents, just a day after Pakistan summoned a top American diplomat to lodge protest over such attacks calling them a violation of its sovereignty.
The CIA-operated spy planes targeted the militant compounds in Shawal region of North Waziristan tribal agency, which has witnessed a series of drone attacks in the past few weeks.
Eighteen people were killed in the strikes, state-run Radio Pakistan reported.
The drones fired two missiles at each of the compounds. The spy planes continued hovering over the area after the attacks.
Officials told the media that the death toll could rise.
Today`s attacks came a day after Pakistan`s Foreign Office summoned a senior US diplomat to protest a string of drone strikes since last week, saying the attacks by the spy planes were unlawful and a violation of the country`s sovereignty.
The US embassy was "demarched on recent drone strikes in North Waziristan. A senior US diplomat was called to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and informed that the drone strikes were unlawful, against international law and a violation of Pakistan`s sovereignty," said a brief statement issued by the Foreign Office spokesman.
"It was emphatically stated that such attacks were unacceptable," the statement said.
Over 20 militants have died in four earlier drone strikes
in North Waziristan since August 18.
Ten militants were killed in two drone strikes in North Waziristan on August 19.
Most of the attacks were carried out in Shawal area.
The region is dominated by Hafiz Gul Bahadur`s fighters, who often target US and other foreign troops in Afghanistan.
The US has been pushing Pakistan to act against Taliban and al Qaeda elements in North Waziristan.
US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta recently claimed that Pakistan was preparing an operation against the Taliban in North Waziristan.
However, Pakistan Army Chief Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani has said his forces will undertake an operation in North Waziristan "at a timeframe of our choosing and determined only by our political and military requirements."
No operation will be launched due to "outside pressure," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in