US drones break lull in Pakistan, 3 killed
Islamabad: A US drone targeted a compound in the restive North Waziristan tribal region of Pakistan on Sunday, killing at least three suspected militants in the first missile strike in almost a month.
The CIA-operated spy plane fired two missiles at the compound in Miranshah, the main town in North Waziristan, which US and Afghan officials have described as a safe haven for al Qaeda and Taliban elements.
Three suspected militants were killed and two more injured in the attack, local tribesmen said.
The injured could not be taken to hospital due to a curfew imposed in the region by local authorities, a tribal elder said.
A building in the compound caught fire after the missile strike.
This was the first US drone strike in North Waziristan since March 30.
It was also the first drone attack after a joint session of the two houses of Pakistan`s parliament adopted a resolution calling for an immediate halt to the missile strikes.
President Asif Ali Zardari reiterated the demand during a meeting with US Special Envoy for Afghanistan and Pakistan, Marc Grossman, in Islamabad last week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown