US drones inhumane, says brother of slain al-Libi
Tripoli: The brother of al Qaeda`s second-in-command, who was killed in a US drone strike, said America`s use of the remote-controlled drones is inhumane.
"The United States talks (about) human rights and freedoms for all, but the method they used to kill him is savage," The News quoted Abu Bakr al-Qayed, the brother of Abu Yahya al-Libi, as saying.
"The way the Americans killed him is heinous and inhumane. We are in the 21st century and they claim to be civilised and this is how they take out people," he said, speaking from the town of Wadi Otba, south of Libyan capital, Tripoli.
In what was described as a major blow to the militant group, a US drone strike killed Libyan-born al Qaeda operative al-Libi in Pakistan on Tuesday.
"Regardless of my brother`s ideology, or beliefs, he was a human being and at the end of the day deserves humane treatment," Qayed added.
According to the paper, the attack is likely to fuel an increasingly fierce debate about the legality and morality of the drones, which have become one of the chief US weapons against al Qaeda.
For years, considered a covert Central Intelligence Agency programme, the unmanned aircraft can be remotely piloted from thousands of kilometres away and can fire missiles at targets at the push of a button.
White House officials say there is nothing in international law that forbids the use of the drones and that, by killing dangerous insurgents, they are making Americans safer.
That view has been challenged by authorities and rights campaigners in Pakistan, who are angry because many of the strikes have happened on their soil.
Civil liberties groups argue that the strikes are illegal because they take place outside an active battlefield, meaning the rules of law, which allow a combatant to kill their opponent, do not apply.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon