US drones targeted Pak with ‘renewed intensity’ in Jan 2013: Report
Islamabad: CIA drones pounded Pakistani soil with renewed intensity in January 2013, a report has said.
According to the Bureau of Investigative Journalism’s monthly report based on the ‘Covert Drone War’ project, January saw six drone strikes in merely nine days, a number exceeded only by August 2012.
Compared to the January of last year, the number of strikes doubled this year, the Express Tribune reports.
According to the report, in Pakistan, there have been a total of 362 US drone attacks since 2004, most of them, 85.6 percent, during the tenure of incumbent President Barack Obama.
Although it is difficult to ascertain the exact number of casualties, the Bureau believes 2,629 to 3,461 people were killed and 1,267 to 1,431 wounded.
Of the total fatalities, 475 to 891 were civilians, including 176 children.
The January drone strikes killed 27 to 54 people, of which 0 to 2 were reportedly civilians, the report said.
The very first strike of the month killed prized target Mullah Nazir, who had been on the CIA hit-list for a long time, and had been involved with multiple attacks on NATO and Afghan forces in Afghanistan, it added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know