US envoy holds key talks with Prachanda amid political crisis
Kathmandu: Amid the political deadlock
over the formation of a new government, the US ambassador to Nepal on Thursday met Maoist supremo Prachanda in the capital to
discuss the stalled peace process, particularly steps to push
it forward after the end of the term of the UNMIN in Janury.
Scott H DeLisi today met UCPN (Maoist) Chairman
Prachanda and discussed the current political stalemate and
the peace process that has been stalled due to the
constitutional crisis in Nepal.
The envoy told reporters after the meeting that they
also discussed steps for an effective transition after the
exit in mid-January of the United Nations Mission in Nepal
UNMIN, which is currently tasked to monitor the arms and the
former Maoist combatants housed in the various camps in the
DeLisi said they also discussed the need to move
forward the ongoing peace process and to end the current
Last week, the US said it is committed to lend support
to the peace process after the UNMIN ends its mandate in the
country. The UNMIN`s extended tenure is set to expire on
January 15, 2011.
Nearly four months after the 22-party coalition led by
Prime Minister Madhav Kumar Nepal collapsed, 13 rounds of
elections in Parliament have so far failed to elect a new
The country has been in political limbo since the
June 30 resignation of Nepal. It has stalled the country`s
peace process and delayed the annual budget, bringing the
nation on the brink of financial crisis.
The US envoy also discussed other key issues including
Prachanda`s recent visit to China, the framing of a new
constitution, the integration and rehabilitation of former
Maoist combatants, according to a private television.
Nepalese lawmakers have failed to end the uncertainty
over the formation of a new government as Nepali Congress
leader Ram Chandra Poudyal, the sole candidate for the post of
prime minister, was unable to garner a majority support for an
unprecedented 13th time in a row on Tuesday.
The Maoists, who joined mainstream politics after the
2006 peace deal with the interim government led by G. P.
Koirala, won the largest number of parliamentary seats in the
April 2008 elections.
The Maoists led by Prachanda formed a government, but
it later collapsed after a dispute with President Ram Baran
Yadav over their attempt to replace the then army chief
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings