US for free, fair and timely polls in Pakistan
Washington: The United States on Friday said it looks forward to timely, free and fair elections in Pakistan, as the country`s parliament successfully completes its five year term.
"The Pakistani parliament is planning to complete its term tomorrow. We look forward to timely, free and fair elections that will result in the first civilian democratic transition in Pakistan`s history," State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland told reporters at her daily news conference.
Responding to questions, Nuland said the US supports direct dialogue between India and Pakistan to improve their relationships.
"We have been strongly supporting, both on the Indian side and the Pakistani side, direct dialogue between them, an improvement in their relationship. They`ve already made some good strides on the economic side, on the visa side," she said.
"We want that to continue. We want it to be expanded to some of these security concerns that they have with each other," Nuland said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation