US for free, fair and timely polls in Pakistan
Washington: The United States on Friday said it looks forward to timely, free and fair elections in Pakistan, as the country`s parliament successfully completes its five year term.
"The Pakistani parliament is planning to complete its term tomorrow. We look forward to timely, free and fair elections that will result in the first civilian democratic transition in Pakistan`s history," State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland told reporters at her daily news conference.
Responding to questions, Nuland said the US supports direct dialogue between India and Pakistan to improve their relationships.
"We have been strongly supporting, both on the Indian side and the Pakistani side, direct dialogue between them, an improvement in their relationship. They`ve already made some good strides on the economic side, on the visa side," she said.
"We want that to continue. We want it to be expanded to some of these security concerns that they have with each other," Nuland said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje
- Lalitgate: BJP helping fugitives, law breakers; PM Modi doing 'Maun Yoga', alleges Congress
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren