US for free, fair and timely polls in Pakistan
Washington: The United States on Friday said it looks forward to timely, free and fair elections in Pakistan, as the country`s parliament successfully completes its five year term.
"The Pakistani parliament is planning to complete its term tomorrow. We look forward to timely, free and fair elections that will result in the first civilian democratic transition in Pakistan`s history," State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland told reporters at her daily news conference.
Responding to questions, Nuland said the US supports direct dialogue between India and Pakistan to improve their relationships.
"We have been strongly supporting, both on the Indian side and the Pakistani side, direct dialogue between them, an improvement in their relationship. They`ve already made some good strides on the economic side, on the visa side," she said.
"We want that to continue. We want it to be expanded to some of these security concerns that they have with each other," Nuland said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what