US for `free, fair` Sri Lanka polls
Colombo: The US on Friday called for "free, fair and credible" elections Saturday in three provinces in Sri Lanka including the north, once a Tamil Tigers bastion.
The US embassy said it had seen reports of an attack on the residence of a candidate, supporters and members of a domestic elections monitoring NGO on Thursday evening.
The embassy said it was concerned over the attack, and said it should be "transparently and independently investigated" and the perpetrators brought to justice swiftly.
"We call on all parties to refrain from violence and observe a peaceful, open and transparent electoral process, one that is free, fair and credible," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster