US for `free, fair` Sri Lanka polls
Colombo: The US on Friday called for "free, fair and credible" elections Saturday in three provinces in Sri Lanka including the north, once a Tamil Tigers bastion.
The US embassy said it had seen reports of an attack on the residence of a candidate, supporters and members of a domestic elections monitoring NGO on Thursday evening.
The embassy said it was concerned over the attack, and said it should be "transparently and independently investigated" and the perpetrators brought to justice swiftly.
"We call on all parties to refrain from violence and observe a peaceful, open and transparent electoral process, one that is free, fair and credible," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city