US for `free, fair` Sri Lanka polls
Colombo: The US on Friday called for "free, fair and credible" elections Saturday in three provinces in Sri Lanka including the north, once a Tamil Tigers bastion.
The US embassy said it had seen reports of an attack on the residence of a candidate, supporters and members of a domestic elections monitoring NGO on Thursday evening.
The embassy said it was concerned over the attack, and said it should be "transparently and independently investigated" and the perpetrators brought to justice swiftly.
"We call on all parties to refrain from violence and observe a peaceful, open and transparent electoral process, one that is free, fair and credible," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Seven killed in road accident in Uttar Pradesh's Ambedkarnagar
- Searching for weekend get aways in South? Give it a look
- HORRIFIC: Woman gang-raped, attacked with acid before being dumped on road in Kanpur
- Curfew lifted from Kashmir's Anantnag after 49 days, remains in force in other parts
- PM Modi, Amit Shah to address CMs of BJP-ruled states