US-funded Pashto radio service launched in Af-Pak border
Washington: Radio Mashaal, a US Congress-funded Pashto radio service, went on air in Afghanistan on Friday in an effort to counter the propaganda machine of the Taliban and al Qaeda.
The radio to be run by Czech-based Radio free liberty is being beemed for listeners in southern, eastern and tribal areas of Afghanistan bordering Pakistan.
The broadcaster said the service is being launched to provide an alternative to Islamic extremists’ stations in the border region with Afghanistan.
The new Radio began broadcasting today in the local Pashto dialect.
"There is an urgent need for accurate, objective news and information in Pakistan`s tribal areas," said Special US Representative to Afghanistan and Pakistan, Richard Holbrooke.
Radio Mashaal`s correspondents will be covering local and international news with in-depth reports on terrorism, politics, women`s issues, and health care (with an emphasis on preventive medicine), a media release said.
A surprise in store for listeners will be the reappearance of Haroon Bacha, a popular Pashtun singer who fled the region last year amid death threats from the Taliban.
The 36-year-old recording artist - whose albums, music videos and television appearances made him one of the most famous entertainers in the region - will be hosting a cultural affairs show for Radio Mashaal.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!