US hands over Bagram prison to Afghanistan
Kabul: US forces in Afghanistan on Monday handed over full control of a key US-run prison - the Bagram Detention Centre - to the Afghan Defence Ministry, Xinhua reported.
"Today, we saw another significant step towards the transition process from coalition forces to the Afghan Army and police by handing over the control of Bagram detention centre from our international partners to Afghan Army," Afghanistan’s acting Defence Minister Hinayatuula Nazari was quoted as saying.
The prison was handed over at a ceremony held in the facility located near the Bagram air base, the main US military base, 50 km north of Kabul.
Top US and NATO commander in Afghanistan, General John Allen, and former Afghan defence minister Abdul Rahim Wardak had signed an agreement on March 09 over the transfer of the facility within six months.
According to the document, Afghanistan will consult with the US before the release of inmates.
The US will continue its presence at the facility in order to provide advisory, technical and logistical support for one year starting on March 09, according to the agreement.
More than 3,000 prisoners including hundreds of suspected Taliban and al Qaeda operatives are currently in the detention centre, Safiullah Safi, a military police commander in the prison, told Xinhua.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- Dadri lynching: UP CM Akhilesh raises compensation to Rs 45 lakh
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video