US hands over Bagram prison to Afghanistan
Kabul: US forces in Afghanistan on Monday handed over full control of a key US-run prison - the Bagram Detention Centre - to the Afghan Defence Ministry, Xinhua reported.
"Today, we saw another significant step towards the transition process from coalition forces to the Afghan Army and police by handing over the control of Bagram detention centre from our international partners to Afghan Army," Afghanistan’s acting Defence Minister Hinayatuula Nazari was quoted as saying.
The prison was handed over at a ceremony held in the facility located near the Bagram air base, the main US military base, 50 km north of Kabul.
Top US and NATO commander in Afghanistan, General John Allen, and former Afghan defence minister Abdul Rahim Wardak had signed an agreement on March 09 over the transfer of the facility within six months.
According to the document, Afghanistan will consult with the US before the release of inmates.
The US will continue its presence at the facility in order to provide advisory, technical and logistical support for one year starting on March 09, according to the agreement.
More than 3,000 prisoners including hundreds of suspected Taliban and al Qaeda operatives are currently in the detention centre, Safiullah Safi, a military police commander in the prison, told Xinhua.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister