US held back on CSF dues to Pak for accounting reasons: Holbrooke
Islamabad: US Special Envoy for Afghanistan and Pakistan Richard Holbrooke told journalists on Thursday that the Coalition Support Fund (CSF) money meant for Pakistan were “unfortunately held back” because of accounting reasons and would be partially released next week.
“This is the money we owed to Pakistan,” he said.
He said the United States would begin disbursement of CSF payments to Pakistan next week, releasing USD 349 million in the first phase, the Dawn reports.
He said the remaining amount would be paid once the tedious accounting issues were resolved.
The CSF reimburses expenditures incurred by 27 coalition partners, including Pakistan, in direct support of US military operations.
Stringent verification of Pakistani claims after introduction of new guidelines by the US authorities contributed to an increase in the amount of claims, which were not accepted and deferred. The outstanding payments stand at two billion dollars.
Pakistan has been pleading with Washington to release the payments to ease pressure on its budget and enable it to continue its Public Sector Development Programme.
Holbrooke said that US Congressional assent was required for the release of the first tranche of USD 349 million next week.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents