US House passes amendment tying human rights with aid to Pak
Washington: The US House of Representative passed an amendment linking the American military aid with the human rights in Pakistan, in particular those of religious and ethnic minorities.
The amendment moved by Congressman Dana Rohrabacher yesterday requires the US Defence Secretary to certify that Pakistan is not using its military to "persecute minority groups for their legitimate and nonviolent political and religious beliefs".
The amendment specifically names the Balochi, Sindhi and Christian minorities, among others.
However, passage of such an amendment under the National Defence Authorization Act 2014, though hailed by Rohrabacher as a giant step forward, is unlikely to have much impact on US military aid to Pakistan, given that in the past that both the Pentagon and the State Department have been quick in issuing similar certifications.
"This is a giant step forward for those victims of oppression in Pakistan," said Rohrabacher who moved the amendment with bipartisan co-sponsorship of Congressman Brad Sherman.
Rohrabacher is Chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Subcommittee on Europe, Eurasia, and Emerging Threats.
"For the first time their plight is being recognised and a policy is being established of not giving the Pakistani government the weapons to carry on their repression. This is the first time the plight of the Balochi and the Sindhi have been underscored in legislation that links support for Pakistan`s military to how they treat those minority groups," Rohrabacher said.
The US has given over USD 25 billion of aid to Pakistan since 2001 and this year`s National Defence Authorization Act authorised up to an additional USD 1.5 billion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Watch Video - World's highest glass-bottom bridge opens in China 600 feet above a canyon!
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony