US imposes sanctions on Pak financiers of Qaeda, Taliban
Washington: The Obama administration on Thursday slapped sanctions on two Karachi-based Pakistani nationals, one of them was born in India, for allegedly providing financial support to terrorist activities of al Qaeda and the Taliban.
The two are identified as Mohammed Mazhar, the director of Al-Akhtar Trust, and Mufti Abdul Rahim, leader of Al-Rashid Trust.
Mohammed Mazhar was designated for his fundraising activities and financial and other support for al Qaeda and the Taliban and Mufti Abdul Rahim was designated for his fundraising activities for the Taliban, the Department of Treasury said.
Al-Akhtar Trust and Al-Rashid Trust are both Pakistani charities previously identified as Specially Designated Global Terrorists pursuant to Executive Order 13224, which freezes any assets the designated entities and individuals have under US jurisdiction and prohibits Americans from engaging in any transactions with those entities and individuals.
"Today`s designation of these two high-profile financiers of al Qaeda and the Taliban, who are also leaders of Al-Akhtar Trust and Al-Rashid Trust, further exposes those organisations` continuing support for terrorism under the guise of charitable activity," Stuart Levey, Under Secretary for Terrorism and Financial Intelligence, said.
As of mid-2007, Mazhar was supporting the Taliban in Afghanistan through a Pakistan-based madrassa, Baluchistan, that trained Taliban recruits to perform combat operations in Afghanistan.
Mazhar was also once a member of Taliban combatant groups and has fought in Afghanistan, said the Department of Treasury.
Additionally, in 2004-2005, Mazhar arranged for small groups of businessmen from South Africa and the United Kingdom to travel to Pakistan every two to three months to courier Al-Akhtar Trust donations into Pakistan, it said.
Mufti Abdul Rahim, leader of Al-Rashid Trust, a position he has held since 2002, was born in Sargodha region of Pakistan.
In official records he has registered two date of births 1955 and 1964, the statement said.
"Al-Rashid Trust has been raising money for the Taliban since 1999, and in his leadership capacity, Rahim handles the day-to-day management of the trust and acts as one of Al-Rashid Trust`s primary fundraisers. He has also served as Al-Rashid Trust`s chairman and, in 2009, filled a chief executive role on the board that runs the trust," the Treasury said.
As of late 2009, Rahim was a key supporter of Taliban operations in Afghanistan and Pakistan and had coordinated Taliban facilitation activities with Al-Akhtar
Trust leader Mohammed Mazhar.
"Rahim has provided regular financial support to the Taliban and received numerous senior Taliban visitors at his madrassa in Karachi, Pakistan. In mid-2005, Rahim passed an unspecified amount of money to a Peshawar-based Taliban associate, who in turn distributed it among several Taliban commanders," the Treasury said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India