US lauds India for hosting Afghan investment summi
Washington: The US has lauded India`s "excellent" initiative to host a major investment summit on Afghanistan and said more than a dozen American companies have signed up to participate in the upcoming event in New Delhi.
"We have more than a dozen American companies participating in the conference to explore investment opportunities, including big companies like DuPont, Price Waterhouse Cooper, General Electric, ExxonMobil," State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland told reporters.
"So we think this is an excellent initiative to strengthen private sector investment, to strengthen regional links and shows great leadership the Indian government`s part," Nuland said in response to a question on the meeting which is scheduled to be held in New Delhi on June 28.
"We have encouraged our firms interested in Afghanistan to participate. So are very much appreciative," Nuland said.
Nearly 40 countries, including Iran, China and Pakistan are expected to take part in the investment meet to be held on Thursday to mobilise flow of private capital to the war-torn country.
The objective of the Summit is to attract foreign investment into Afghanistan in the light of new opportunities opening up in various sectors in that country.
India has already committed USD 2 billion towards reconstruction and developmental activities in Afghanistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof