US lawmaker calls for timely withdrawal from Afghanistan
Washington: An influential US lawmaker on Thursday wrote a dear colleague letter to other members of the House of Representatives seeking their support in the passage of a resolution to end the US war in Afghanistan.
"Yesterday, with the US Secretary of Defence (Robert Gates) at his side, the President of Afghanistan (Hamid Karzai) declared that his country`s security forces will need financial and training assistance from the United States for the next 15-20 years," Congressman Dennis Kucinich, said.
"We cannot afford these wars. We cannot afford the loss of lives. We cannot afford the cost to taxpayers. We cannot afford to fail to exercise our constitutional right to end the wars," he said.
Referring to the Karzai`s statement in Kabul, the Democratic lawmaker wrote to his House colleagues: "This is especially disturbing since the Administration is already sliding back the timeline the President established only last week. What Mr Karzai did not say is that would cost US taxpayers an additional USD 2-3 trillion," he said.
His bills, would "trigger a timeline" for timely withdrawal of US troops from Afghanistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics?
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part II
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part III
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part IV
- Why is Mehbooba Mufti attacking Hindu beliefs for votes?
- Over 600 young leaders recruited by Rahul Gandhi but not given any responsibilities yet: Report
- Afghan Taliban sources confirm death of leader in US attack
- Why are Antarctica ice-levels increasing? NASA has the answer!
- Buyout group to back rival's bid for Tata's UK steel assets - Sources
- French Open 2016: Angry Nick Kyrgios, Petra Kvitova pass chilly Roland Garros tests