US lawmaker calls for timely withdrawal from Afghanistan
Washington: An influential US lawmaker on Thursday wrote a dear colleague letter to other members of the House of Representatives seeking their support in the passage of a resolution to end the US war in Afghanistan.
"Yesterday, with the US Secretary of Defence (Robert Gates) at his side, the President of Afghanistan (Hamid Karzai) declared that his country`s security forces will need financial and training assistance from the United States for the next 15-20 years," Congressman Dennis Kucinich, said.
"We cannot afford these wars. We cannot afford the loss of lives. We cannot afford the cost to taxpayers. We cannot afford to fail to exercise our constitutional right to end the wars," he said.
Referring to the Karzai`s statement in Kabul, the Democratic lawmaker wrote to his House colleagues: "This is especially disturbing since the Administration is already sliding back the timeline the President established only last week. What Mr Karzai did not say is that would cost US taxpayers an additional USD 2-3 trillion," he said.
His bills, would "trigger a timeline" for timely withdrawal of US troops from Afghanistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!
- NASA completes series of engine tests for next big rocket