US lawmakers asks Pak to redouble efforts against Haqqanis
Washington: Top American lawmakers have asked Pakistan to redouble its efforts against the dreaded Haqqani Network, a day after it was declared as a foreign terrorist organisation by the US State Department.
"This is a terrorist organisation and an enemy of the United States, and I urge Pakistan to redouble its efforts working with US and Afghan partners to eliminate the Haqqani threat," said Senator Dianne Feinstein, chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee.
In July 2012 Feinstein had introduced a legislation in the Senate instructing the Secretary of State to designate the Haqqani network as a foreign terrorist group and in May 2012 wrote Secretary Hillary Clinton a letter urging for the same.
"This action will make it harder for the Haqqani network to raise funds and operate its businesses, and will create new risks for anyone working with it. Over the past two years I have heard from leaders in the intelligence community and military in Washington and in Kabul that designation is the right thing to do," Feinstein said.
The Pentagon, which has described Haqqani network as a significant threat to the US national security, welcomed the decision to designate it as global terrorist organisation.
"These new group designations will build on our efforts to degrade the network`s capacity to carry out attacks, including affecting fundraising abilities, targeting them with our military and intelligence resources, and pressing Pakistan to take action," Pentagon Press Secretary George Little said.
Congressman Mike Rogers, Chairman of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, said he is pleased that Clinton has finally announced to officially designate the Haqqani network as a Foreign Terrorist Organization.
"This is a critical step that clears the path for the United States to begin to put a choke hold on the network’s finances," Rogers said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM