US lawmakers support aid suspension to Pak
Washington: US lawmakers have supported Obama Administration`s decision to suspend the USD-800 million military aid to Pakistan, terming it as something that was "long overdue".
"While it is important for us to maintain relations with Pakistan, the administration`s decision to temporarily
suspend roughly USD 800 million in military assistance, is the
right one," a member of the Senate Foreign Relations
Committee, Bob Corker, said.
Top US lawmakers have been demanding cut in the aid to
Pakistan alleging that Islamabad was a reluctant partner in
the war against terrorism.
"For far too long, Pakistan`s actions have been
inconsistent - to say the least - and the time is right for us
to engage in a sober conversation about our relationship and expectations," he said.
Corker said the US national security is greatly
affected by what happens in Southwest Asia, so the American
people need to be certain who they depend on for security and
intelligence cooperation in the fight against international
"With so many taxpayer resources at stake, this honest
re-evaluation and conversation is long overdue," said the
Senator from Tennessee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Here's what Jacqueline Fernandez feels about Salman Khan-Iulia Vantur marriage! Details inside
- Buying your dream home in Gurgaon to get cheaper; circle rates might be slashed
- Shame! This man approached UP Police to register complaint, was forced to polish cops' shoes instead – Watch
- Mood swings! What's on Parineeti Chopra's mind?
- WATCH: IPL 2016 final highlights: Royal Challengers Bangalore vs SunRisers Hyderabad