US looking forward to timely free and fair Pak elections
Washington: The US is looking forward to timely, free and fair elections in Pakistan, a State Department official on Friday said, hours after the announcement of the polls schedule in Islamabad.
"We do understand that Pakistan has announced the date for the National Assembly elections of May 11. We look forward to timely, free and fair elections that are going to result in the first civilian democratic transition of power in Pakistan`s history," State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland told reporters at her daily news conference.
"We obviously will look to the government of Pakistan with regard to any help or support they might need," she said when asked if the US would be sending any observers for the elections.
The US has a number of ongoing programs that support elections, clean, fair elections, in Pakistan, she said.
"We provide support through local organisations to encourage voter participation among groups that have historically low turnout, such as women. We also provide grants for two-way communication forums for citizens to discuss the election process. We also fund training for poll workers," she said.
"The total amount of that assistance is about USD 6.5 million, but to date we haven`t had any requests from the government of Pakistan for concrete support for the election itself," she added.
"It is up to the people of Pakistan to decide who their representatives should be according to their democratic process," Nuland said when asked about the participation of former President Pervez Musharraf in the coming elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees