US looking forward to timely free and fair Pak elections
Washington: The US is looking forward to timely, free and fair elections in Pakistan, a State Department official on Friday said, hours after the announcement of the polls schedule in Islamabad.
"We do understand that Pakistan has announced the date for the National Assembly elections of May 11. We look forward to timely, free and fair elections that are going to result in the first civilian democratic transition of power in Pakistan`s history," State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland told reporters at her daily news conference.
"We obviously will look to the government of Pakistan with regard to any help or support they might need," she said when asked if the US would be sending any observers for the elections.
The US has a number of ongoing programs that support elections, clean, fair elections, in Pakistan, she said.
"We provide support through local organisations to encourage voter participation among groups that have historically low turnout, such as women. We also provide grants for two-way communication forums for citizens to discuss the election process. We also fund training for poll workers," she said.
"The total amount of that assistance is about USD 6.5 million, but to date we haven`t had any requests from the government of Pakistan for concrete support for the election itself," she added.
"It is up to the people of Pakistan to decide who their representatives should be according to their democratic process," Nuland said when asked about the participation of former President Pervez Musharraf in the coming elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir