US may pull out 30,000 Afghan surge force

Gates said there were "two intermediate numbers that need to be resolved".

Kabul: The US`s looming decision on troop drawdowns in Afghanistan could include a timeline for pulling out 30,000 "surge" forces deployed last year, Defense Secretary Robert Gates said on Sunday.
Speaking to US Marines at a base in the southern province of Helmand during a visit to Afghanistan, Gates said there were "two intermediate numbers that need to be resolved" as President Barack Obama weighs a troop drawdown.
"One is what is the size of the reduction that will be announced in July?" he said. "But the other is, at one point do you bring home the surge (forces)?"

Bureau Report

Tags:

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. You can find out more by clicking this link

Close