US mulling faster, total pullout from Afghanistan
Washington: President Barack Obama is considering speeding up troop withdrawals from Afghanistan and even leaving no American troops after 2014.
Obama is considering the move after being increasingly frustrated by his dealings with Afghan President Hamid Karzai.
According to the New York Times, Obama is committed to ending America`s military involvement in Afghanistan by the end of 2014, but his relationship with Karzai has been slowly deteriorating.
It reached a new low after an effort last month by the United States to begin peace talks with the Taliban in Qatar.
Karzai promptly repudiated the talks and ended negotiations with the United States over the long-term security deal that is needed to keep American forces in Afghanistan after 2014, the report said.
A video conference between Obama and Karzai designed to defuse the tensions ended badly, both American and Afghan officials with knowledge of it said, the report said.
Karzai accused the U.S. of trying to negotiate a separate peace with both the Taliban and their backers in Pakistan, leaving Afghanistan`s fragile government exposed to its enemies, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world