US mulling ways of stopping drone strikes in Pak
Islamabad: The Obama administration seems willing to look at options that do not involve launching drones attacks in Pakistan to kill terror suspects, a senior Pakistani official source has said.
The official, while briefing reporters on ISI chief Lt-Gen Zaheerul Islam’s meetings in Washington, said the Pakistani delegation urged the Americans to stop the drone strikes at every opportunity they got.
The official said that Pakistan “raised the issue of US drone strikes at every meeting Gen Islam” held in Washington during the last two days, adding that “the Americans listened patiently”.
The Dawn quoted the official, as saying that the Americans are believed to have told the Pakistanis that while they could not stop the drone strikes right now, “they are considering ways forward that do not involve drones”.
According to the report, sources revealed that Pakistan also proposed a plan for jointly targeting militant hideouts in FATA, using Pakistani F-16s instead of the drones.
“This proposal was discussed at all levels and there were specific meetings on the drones as well,” the paper quoted a Pakistani official, as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today