US NSA discusses security situation with AfPak leaders
Washington: US National Security Advisor General (Rtd) James Jones took a stock of security situation in the AfPak region during his meetings with leaders of Afghanistan and Pakistan, the White House has said.
Besides meeting the top leaders of the two countries in Islamabad and Kabul, Jones during his five-day trip from February 8 to 12 travelled to other cities of both Afghanistan and Pakistan, including Kandahar and Swat Valley.
"While in Islamabad, General Jones met with President Zardari, Prime Minister Gilani, Foreign Minister Qureshi and Chief of Army Staff Kayani to discuss a variety of issues of mutual concern to both countries, including the full spectrum of development and security matters," said Mike Hammer, spokesman National Security Council.
"In particular, he reiterated our commitment to a long-term and comprehensive relationship with Pakistan," Hammer said in a statement.
General Jones also had the opportunity to travel to the Swat Valley and elsewhere in North West Frontier Province, where he congratulated the Pakistani Army and Frontier Corps on the success of their security operations and noted the tremendous sacrifices made by Pakistan`s security forces, he said.
"While in Afghanistan, General Jones met with Senior Afghan, US and ISAF leadership and travelled to Kabul, Kandahar, Jalalabad, and Panjshir. His travels allowed him to personally review our efforts in the critical areas of security, development and governance," Hammer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- LIVE: After surgical strikes by Indian Army, Nawaz Sharif says Pakistan wants peace
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’