US paid $50,000 per shooting spree death: Afghans
The families of the dead were told that the money came from US President Barack Obama.
Kandahar: The Unites States has paid USD 50,000 in compensation for each Afghan killed in the shooting spree attributed to a US soldier in southern Afghanistan, an Afghan official and a community elder said on Sunday.
The families of the dead received the money on Saturday at the governor`s office, said Kandahar provincial council member Agha Lalai. Each wounded person received USD 11,000 Lalai said. Community elder Jan Agha confirmed the same figures.
They were told that the money came from US President Barack Obama, Lalai said. US officials did not immediate respond to requests for comment.
Staff Sergeant Robert Bales is accused of sneaking out of his base before dawn on March 11 then creeping into the houses of two nearby villages and opening fire on sleeping families within.
It was not immediately clear how much money had been paid out in all. Afghan officials and villagers have counted 16 dead — 12 in the village of Balandi and four in neighbouring Alkozai — and six wounded. The US military has charged Bales with 17 murders without explaining the discrepancy.
The 38-year-old soldier is accused of using his 9mm pistol and M-4 rifle, which was outfitted with a grenade launcher, to kill four men, four women, two boys and seven girls, then burning some of the bodies. The ages of the children were not disclosed in the charge sheet.
The families had previously received smaller compensation payments from Afghan officials.