‘US-Pak military ties at difficult crossroads’
Washington: The US-Pak military ties are
at a "very difficult" crossroads, the top American military
commander has said, with the path to retrieve them not yet
But Washington is nowhere close to severing its
military ties with its long-time ally, Admiral Mike Mullen,
Chairman of the US Joint Chiefs"of Staff, told foreign
journalists at a news conference here.
"We`re in a very difficult time right now with respect
to our military-to-military relationship," Mullen conceded in
his last media interaction on Monday before he retires at the
end of this month.
The retiring admiral said he hopes that the two
nations would find a way to recalibrate those ties. "We need
to work through the details of how this is going to happen."
Mullen was responding to questions about the fate of
military ties to Islamabad in the wake of suspension by Obama
administration of a USD 800 million military aid to Pakistan.
"I think that decision is representative of concerns,
certainly, that are held in my Congress with respect to the
status of the relationship, the needs to do certain things to
move ahead here, and that`s a very strong signal in that
regard," he said.
Despite the recent visit here by Pakistan ISI chief Lt
Gen Ahmed Shuja Pasha, media reports have said that strains
continue in the military-to-military cooperation between the
But, the outgoing US military chief asserted that the
two countries were not close to snapping the defence
"I don`t believe we`re close to severing it, and we
shouldn`t do that. I think sustaining this relationship is
critical. We`ve been through difficult times with them in the
past, and we should see this difficult time through, in terms
of sustaining this relationship over time," Mullen said.
He said his interactions with the military leadership
of Pakistan, including General Ashfaq Pervez Kiyani, indicates
that Islamabad too was supportive of continuing the bilateral
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what