US-Pak square off while discussing ‘troubled ties’
Washington: Two officials representing the Obama administration’s policy in Afghanistan and Pakistan squared off with Islamabad’s envoy during discussion over the country`s troubled relationship with the Washington, drone strikes and treatment of Dr Shakil Afridi, who had helped the CIA in locating Osama bin Laden.
Lt Gen Karl Eikenberry (Ret), who served as US ambassador to Afghanistan from 2009 to 2011 slammed Pakistan’s decision to sentence Dr Afridi to 33 years in prison.
“In a word, I`d call it outrageous,” Politico quoted Gen Eikenberry, as saying.
Pakistan`s ambassador to the US, Sherry Rehman, however, insisted that Afridi`s conviction demonstrated that rule of law in Pakistan is alive and well.
According to the report, Rehman also said that Pakistan shouldn`t receive any more criticism for militants in its difficult-to-govern areas than Afghanistan does for similar hideouts on its territory.
The statement that drew a quick and sharp retort from Lt Gen Doug Lute (Ret), a White House aide.
“There’s no comparison of the Pakistani Taliban`s relatively recent, small-in-scale presence inside Afghanistan to the decades-long experience and relations between elements of the Pakistani government and the Afghan Taliban. So to compare these is simply, I think, unfair,” the report quoted him, as saying.
According to the report, after Lute parried a question about still-classified drone strikes in Pakistan by referring generically to US-Pakistan "cooperation," Rehman said it is time for that sort of ‘robotic warfare’ to end.
“The drone strikes now see diminishing returns. We will be seeking an end to drone strikes and there will be no compromise on that,” Rehman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly