US-Pak square off while discussing ‘troubled ties’
Washington: Two officials representing the Obama administration’s policy in Afghanistan and Pakistan squared off with Islamabad’s envoy during discussion over the country`s troubled relationship with the Washington, drone strikes and treatment of Dr Shakil Afridi, who had helped the CIA in locating Osama bin Laden.
Lt Gen Karl Eikenberry (Ret), who served as US ambassador to Afghanistan from 2009 to 2011 slammed Pakistan’s decision to sentence Dr Afridi to 33 years in prison.
“In a word, I`d call it outrageous,” Politico quoted Gen Eikenberry, as saying.
Pakistan`s ambassador to the US, Sherry Rehman, however, insisted that Afridi`s conviction demonstrated that rule of law in Pakistan is alive and well.
According to the report, Rehman also said that Pakistan shouldn`t receive any more criticism for militants in its difficult-to-govern areas than Afghanistan does for similar hideouts on its territory.
The statement that drew a quick and sharp retort from Lt Gen Doug Lute (Ret), a White House aide.
“There’s no comparison of the Pakistani Taliban`s relatively recent, small-in-scale presence inside Afghanistan to the decades-long experience and relations between elements of the Pakistani government and the Afghan Taliban. So to compare these is simply, I think, unfair,” the report quoted him, as saying.
According to the report, after Lute parried a question about still-classified drone strikes in Pakistan by referring generically to US-Pakistan "cooperation," Rehman said it is time for that sort of ‘robotic warfare’ to end.
“The drone strikes now see diminishing returns. We will be seeking an end to drone strikes and there will be no compromise on that,” Rehman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof