US-Pak strategic dialogue postponed ‘indefinitely’
Islamabad: The strategic dialogue between the United States and Pakistan is said to have been postponed indefinitely, in the latest sign of worsening ties between the key ‘allies’ in the ongoing war on terror.
Talks are reported to be delayed after the US refused to go ahead with the process until ongoing differences between the two countries are resolved, The Express Tribune quoted official sources, as saying.
Tensions between Islamabad and Washington have been rising since the May 02 US raid that killed al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden in his hideout in Abbottabad.
During her trip to Pakistan following the Abbottabad raid, US Secretary of State Hilary Clinton indicated that both countries would soon resume the strategic dialogue, but so far, the two sides have failed to fix dates for talks due to differences on certain issues.
“There is no chance of strategic dialogue taking place any time soon,” a security official familiar with the on-ground situation said on the condition of anonymity.
“The reason is obvious, there are more pressing issues that the two countries are trying to overcome at this stage,” the official added.
A Pakistani diplomat posted in Washington also confirmed that the US was showing little interest in resuming the strategic dialogue at this stage. “It is not possible in the present situation,” the diplomat added.
The latest development is the clearest indication so far that US-Pakistan ties have hit a new low.
Official sources say the trust-deficit between the two countries is widening as the US prepares for the end game in Afghanistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Sachin Saga: Tendulkar set to appear in world of digital gaming
- I share a good rapport with team members: Anil Kumble
- Sonia to flag off bus yatra to UP on July 23
- MS Dhoni to mentor talent with Craig McDermott's cricket academy in Australia
- Gujarat Dalit flogging incident: Four police officials suspended, says Rajnath Singh