US-Pak strategic dialogue postponed ‘indefinitely’
Islamabad: The strategic dialogue between the United States and Pakistan is said to have been postponed indefinitely, in the latest sign of worsening ties between the key ‘allies’ in the ongoing war on terror.
Talks are reported to be delayed after the US refused to go ahead with the process until ongoing differences between the two countries are resolved, The Express Tribune quoted official sources, as saying.
Tensions between Islamabad and Washington have been rising since the May 02 US raid that killed al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden in his hideout in Abbottabad.
During her trip to Pakistan following the Abbottabad raid, US Secretary of State Hilary Clinton indicated that both countries would soon resume the strategic dialogue, but so far, the two sides have failed to fix dates for talks due to differences on certain issues.
“There is no chance of strategic dialogue taking place any time soon,” a security official familiar with the on-ground situation said on the condition of anonymity.
“The reason is obvious, there are more pressing issues that the two countries are trying to overcome at this stage,” the official added.
A Pakistani diplomat posted in Washington also confirmed that the US was showing little interest in resuming the strategic dialogue at this stage. “It is not possible in the present situation,” the diplomat added.
The latest development is the clearest indication so far that US-Pakistan ties have hit a new low.
Official sources say the trust-deficit between the two countries is widening as the US prepares for the end game in Afghanistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state