`US-Pak ties geared towards building political process`
Washington: Acknowledging that its relationship with Pakistan recently hit some bumps, the US has said its ties with the South Asian country is geared towards building stronger political process and institutions.
"Our relationship with Pakistan is geared towards building a stronger political process, building stronger institutions, so that Pakistan is better able to cope with both the threat of terrorism in its midst as well as be a cooperative partner moving forward," State Department spokesman Mark Toner said yesterday.
"As many have noted, we`ve had some bumps in the road to in that partnership," Toner said in response to a question.
Meanwhile, US Special Representative for Afghanistan and Pakistan Marc Grossman is travelling to Brussels and to Moscow to hold consultations with American allies and partners.
Toner said this is part of Secretary of State Hillary Clinton`s outreach to Afghanistan`s neighbours, allies, and partners to further the diplomatic surge that she outlined in her February 18 remarks at the Asia Society in New York.
In Brussels, Grossman will meet with NATO and EU partners and participate on a panel of the Brussels Forum entitled, `Bridging the Trust Deficit with Pakistan`.
In Moscow, he is scheduled to meet with Deputy Foreign Minister Borodavkin, Director of the Federal Drug Control Service Viktor Ivanov, as well as Special Presidential Representative to Afghanistan Zamir Kabulov to discuss a range of issues related to Afghanistan, including counternarcotics cooperation, to ensure mutually reinforcing efforts.
Following the announcement on March 22 by Afghan President Hamid Karzai on the start of transition, close coordination between the US, its allies and partners is even more essential as we begin to realign US civilian and military resources to support the Afghan Government`s increasing responsibility for security and essential service delivery for its citizens, Toner said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees