US, Pak trying to restart annual strategic talks
Islamabad: The United States and Pakistan are trying to resurrect their dented relations, which were disrupted by recent tensions between the two allies, by reviving their annual strategic dialogue.
It is expected that both the countries may announce the renewal at a high-level meeting in New York next month, according to sources.
President Zardari is expected to arrive in New York on September 23, with a delegation which will include senior officials who specialise in US-Pakistan relations.
Although, he is coming to attend the UN General Assembly, reviving relations with the US will be the main focal point of three-day visit.
Both countries have taken a number of corrective steps with the most important being the reopening of ground supply routes to Afghanistan.
“We have been working well with Pakistan in trying to look again at what we can do now that the GLOCs (supply lines) are open to strengthen our counter-terrorism cooperation,” Dawn.com quoted US State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland, as saying.
The third ministerial session of the US-Pakistan strategic dialogue was held in Washington in October 2010.
The next session was to be held in Islamabad but it was postponed due to a rapid deterioration in bilateral ties, which began with the US raid on Osama bin Laden’s compound in Abbottabad and worsened when another raid killed 24 Pakistani soldiers in November.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi