US, Pak trying to restart annual strategic talks
Islamabad: The United States and Pakistan are trying to resurrect their dented relations, which were disrupted by recent tensions between the two allies, by reviving their annual strategic dialogue.
It is expected that both the countries may announce the renewal at a high-level meeting in New York next month, according to sources.
President Zardari is expected to arrive in New York on September 23, with a delegation which will include senior officials who specialise in US-Pakistan relations.
Although, he is coming to attend the UN General Assembly, reviving relations with the US will be the main focal point of three-day visit.
Both countries have taken a number of corrective steps with the most important being the reopening of ground supply routes to Afghanistan.
“We have been working well with Pakistan in trying to look again at what we can do now that the GLOCs (supply lines) are open to strengthen our counter-terrorism cooperation,” Dawn.com quoted US State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland, as saying.
The third ministerial session of the US-Pakistan strategic dialogue was held in Washington in October 2010.
The next session was to be held in Islamabad but it was postponed due to a rapid deterioration in bilateral ties, which began with the US raid on Osama bin Laden’s compound in Abbottabad and worsened when another raid killed 24 Pakistani soldiers in November.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?