US pledges USD 1,050,000 to support rehabilitation in Nepal
Kathmandu: The US has pledged USD 1,050,000 to support Nepal`s peace process and the post-conflict rehabilitation efforts of the government.
US Ambassador Peter W Bodde today signed a memorandum of understanding with the Ministry of Peace and Reconstruction, committing the contribution by the US Agency for International Development (USAID).
The contribution will go to the Nepal Peace Trust Fund (NPTF) and the Technical Cooperation Pool for Capacity Development (TC Pool), said a statement by the US embassy.
USAID`s initial commitment is USD 550,000 to the TC Pool and USD 500,000 to the NPTF, for a total contribution to the MoPR of USD 1,050,000.
The assistance will support conflict-affected communities, transitional justice, future elections, public infrastructure reconstruction, and other peace commitments.
As part of the TC Pool, USAID will also hire a Gender Equality and Social Inclusion Advisor who will serve to strengthen the ongoing work within the Ministry and Peace Fund Secretariat gender units and address gender and inclusion.
"The US Government`s partnership with the Government of Nepal in this effort further demonstrates our commitment to helping the people of Nepal realise the benefits of peace and the promise of prosperity.
"We recognise the Ministry`s and the Peace Fund Secretariat`s work to implement the commitments of the 2006 Comprehensive Peace Accord through the Fund`s programming," said Ambassador Bodde.
Nepal is the first and only country to lead a joint donor- host government trust fund.
Since its inception in 2007, the NPTF has funded Government of Nepal institutions to implement Comprehensive Peace Accord programmes such as support to conflict-affected people, elections, cantonment management, and infrastructure reconstruction.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena