US praises courage and determination of Malala
Washington: Praising the Pakistani teenage rights activist Malala Yousufzai, who is still critical after being shot by the Taliban, White House said that her courage and determination stands in "stark contrast" to the "cowards" who seek to silence her.
Yousufzai (14), who opposed Taliban restrictions on woman education, was shot by gunmen on Tuesday as she left school in Mingora, in the Swat area of Pakistan. Two other girls were also wounded in the attack.
"Malala`s courage and determination as a champion for girls` education and opportunity stands in stark contrast to the cowards who seek to silence her," the White House Press Secretary, Jay Carney, said in a statement yesterday on the occasion of First Annual International Day of the Girl.
"Like so many Pakistanis and people of goodwill around the world, the American people are shocked by this deplorable shooting of a girl who was targeted because she dared to attend school, and we reaffirm our commitment to working with the Pakistani people toward a future that delivers progress, justice and peace to all its citizens," Carney said as the White House termed the attack on Malala, as outrageous.
"As we pray for Malala`s recovery, we honor her bravery, we celebrate the accomplishments of girls here in the United States and throughout the world, and we salute the leadership of all those working to advance gender equality," he said.
"On this International Day of the Girl, we pledge to carry on our work and keep advancing our shared vision of a world where our daughters enjoy the same rights, freedoms, and opportunities as our sons," Carney said.
A day earlier, the United States had offered medical assistance if any.
The State Department spokesperson, Victoria Nuland, said Pakistan hasn`t come with any specific requests in this regard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal